Saturday, 9 January 2016

My Career Strategy

If you have been following my blog, you will know I left with 5 years of being a full time employee. After which, I will be unchained (Sound negative?). Hey, I could still be enjoying the work without being chained?

Since I am in pain with my current job, I have decided to move on to a new job soon. Looking forward to a new career. I have a hearty discussion with my wife and we agreed that I should continue to work full time employment the remaining 5 years. However, if I need to press the emergency button, she will give me her support. Sweet, isn't?

To plan for alternatives, I am picking up skill to do freelance. If we have a 2nd child, I am also planning to be the full time primary caregiver and stay at home dad. What a cool title - caregiver of the young minds. Better than home CEO. The end of Frugal Daddy career life? To be continued as it is only a pipeline of dreams...

My wife and I supposed to FI together by 37 years old, if plans stay intact. She love her job and to encourage her to work till 42-45 years old, we will move to near her workplace (click here). It is a win-win-win situation for myself, my wife and my child.

My previous job requirements (click here). My current dream job requirements:

1) Balance between home and work life
2) Allow me to work permanent part time (morning only)
3) Maximum 45 minutes of travelling from home to work place. Preferably walking distance from home.
4) Facilities such as gym, swimming pools, running track, badminton court, and so on (with bathing rooms)
5) Good colleagues and bosses (make me feel appreciated, able to grow my professional and personal development)

All these are my wishful thinking. Please come true!

If I happened to enjoy my career and need refresher after FI, I may want to be employed for another 2-3 years again in the 40s? Not a bad idea, isn't?

Nothing is certain, there is so much I can plan.

I love my life. I love my job? It is my life, not a job.

9 comments:

  1. Hello FD,

    Great to know that your wife supports your job change. When I switched from a senior position to a junior position in another department, my wife and I had a good talk too. Spouse support is very important.

    I tend to think FI does not means we will stop work completely. It means we have a CHOICE to work (or not) without worry of negative financial consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SS

      We are blessed with a wonderful spouse.

      Agreed. However, I would want a slow pace of work, if I am not working for money. More time should be for personal interest and development. My personal goals.

      Delete
  2. Hello FD,

    Great to know that your wife supports your job change. When I switched from a senior position to a junior position in another department, my wife and I had a good talk too. Spouse support is very important.

    I tend to think FI does not means we will stop work completely. It means we have a CHOICE to work (or not) without worry of negative financial consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi FD,

    I always think job should be a good way to gain knowledge, exposure and wisdom eventually, if it does provide. If a job does not provide all these, then we need to reflect what's wrong!

    Anyway good that ur dream FI keeps u gg! At least it is a great motivator! And yes, continue reading n exposing to have great minds as a future CEO. Sure u ll be for ur kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rolf

      After FI, I can continue reading your blog. You should share what you learnt in your workplace and I pick up from there. I will try to internalise without having to work...haha...

      I agreed in whatever we do, it is our responsibilities to enrich our mind and life, be it work or no work.

      Delete
  4. Hi FD,

    Thanks for your heartfelt sharing! Fine to share what sort of freelance skill are you picking up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi The Sun

      Welcome to my blog.

      I am learning tuition and design skill. Any interesting tips to share since you are asking about it? Would love to gather more suggestions. But have to consider my high work and family commitments.

      Delete
  5. Frugal Daddy,

    I won't kick you like last time. I'll be "nicer" this time ;)


    Reading your no. 4, I felt like... Hey! I can restraint myself? Man, my cultivation has improved!


    As for your no. 5 needs, just buy me a drink and I'll cheer you up!

    FD: Who's the man?

    SMOL: Frugal Daddy, Frugal Daddy!

    FD: Who's your daddy?

    Screeching halt...

    SMOL: Sir, I think you misunderstood. For that kind of cheerleading, you go to Orchard Towers. Do you see the door over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMOL

      Never been to Orchard Towers for cheerleading. haha

      I know you are from school of hard knock. Try triple my salary and I may stay for 2 more years. haha.

      Delete