Saturday, 23 January 2016

More About Me

Inspired by latest post (click here) from YP from Talking Money Talking $ense, I decided to write a short childhood of myself.

I was taken care by nanny, who I called her mum. Similarly, I called her husband papa, and her sons brothers. My dad initially paid my nanny $300-$360 (including everything), reduced to $200, and eventually my nanny allowed me to stay and live with them for free. However, they run into some financial crisis and I have to stay with my aunties, at around 20 years old. I am so thankful of them that they give me unconditional family love. I am equally thankful to my aunties.

I have never stayed with my parents before, except a few days for my entire life during school vacations. Things change after my parents remarried and started their own families.

I can still remember how I walked 5 bus stops to secondary school every day to and fro. You can tell I don't spend time studying during primary and secondary school's days.  I had a lot of fun. I cycled half the Singapore during the tender age of 15. I just need free water cooler everywhere in Singapore that I can find. I stayed over night at friends' house often.

After O level, I appealed to enter into any course in polytechnic because I failed my English so badly and fortunately, I gotten in. This was when my life changed from a hopeless playful boy to a boy, who wanted to be a useful person to the society. During my poly days, I cycled to school and survived on $1.30 per day for my lunch. Breakfast? I starved myself so that I can combine my breakfast and lunch together. I will always order rice, add rice, 1 vegetable and 1 meat. It cost $1.30, standard. I will rush back home to eat home cooked food. I will work part time and during vacation to pay for my poly school fee.

I am grateful that I didn't give up on myself. I have been working towards a brighter future and today, I am living a comfortable lifestyle knowing what I want in life, and on track towards financial independence at the age of 37.

Life is interesting, isn't?

11 comments:

  1. Frugal Daddy,

    We play the cards we're dealt to the best of our abilities.

    What an interesting "peeling the onion" post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SMOL

      I am sure your story is interesting too. I will wait

      Delete

  2. Behind every tough person is his/her tough story and their children are likely to get better life as they do whatever to provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my child don't be another pampered city kid. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. We all have our skeletons in the closets. The fact that we can open the closets means that the skeleton is no longer scary. Now the pile of bones has become a reminder of how our disadvantaged background can be the bedrock of strength in this life we choose to create. As 2016 starts, as the market becomes volatile, as we get older each day, let us remember the lessons of old, and be truly grateful for what we had, what we have and the loved ones beside us. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      Are you my favourite teacher at my money and me blog? Thanks for dropping by.

      Well said. I am still learning from my mistakes everyday. I am truly happy about what I have and just hoping to have more control over my time. Cheers

      Delete
  4. Somehow, I knew, we all have stories to tell. Just that maybe some of us are not ready. So glad to hear your story. I always tell my sons that one day, if I am gone, they can re-read my blog posts. It is my little "legacy" for them. Your story will also be so for your future generations :). Life is indeed interesting haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi YP

      My blog also serve as a record for my family and I. Hope they cam understand and remember me in future. Will read your posts more often. Cheers

      Delete
  5. Hi FD,

    Knowing yourself... Haha..sounds familiar to me!

    Good to pen down ur nostalgic past! Very touching story. :-)

    Last advice: Just dun be as frugal as the past, just because of achieving ur FI by 37! FI really does not mean a lot. U may not understand now, but one day u will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rolf

      Understand where you coming from. Don't worry, I lead a comfortable lifestyle now. Haha. There is a different between frugal and cheap. I am enjoying my lifestyle, just hope for more time.

      I guess you can also write your"gangster" story? :)

      Delete
  6. Hi FD,

    Wrote sth last year... enjoy! :-)

    http://www.rolfsuey.com/2015/05/my-personal-finance-story-part-1.html?m=1

    http://www.rolfsuey.com/2015/05/my-personal-finance-story-part-2.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete