Friday, 30 October 2015

That Dream We All Have


I had a dream. When I was a child, because of my family poverty, I would always imagine myself being a businessman earning tons of money. As you know about me (here), you know that I was extremely adventurous (actually was playful, just a nicer word to use) and I don't really believed in education.



I moderated my dream of being a successful businessman (I did tried a few small businesses) to becoming a HR leader. Finding a HR job is kind of hard for a male graduate with my level of academic abilities, especially my English. I thought it would be cool to manage tons of people. Fast forward today, I have achieved most of my aspirations. I am a HR manager. I have worked smart and hard enough for the seemingly impossible to be doable. Perhaps, my aspirations are not great enough to scare myself. Only to realise making impossible possible is one thing, satisfaction is another. I am fine with the job but I never enjoyed office politics. You know office administrations involved most of politics.

Today, my dream is to be financially independent so that I can stop working full time and spend time doing what I feel like doing. I am heading toward that goal, and I am 5 years left to 37 years old, when my child reach primary 1.

I would make sure I live my 5 years now, knowing that there are lot of noises and distractions along the journey towards my ultimate goal, which are not important at all when I looked back.

Let me do myself a favour, love what I do today, and never regret yesterday.


I shifted my goal post, did you?


9 comments:

  1. Frugal Daddy,

    No, you did not shift your goal posts; you simply took off your blinkers ;)


    P.S. Ah! So you're the HR man! Good, good. Too many engineers in our community. So that makes you the 2nd HR man I've "met" through blogging - the other man is a career coach (close enough lah!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SMOL

      Engineers are generally good with numbers. That why mid career switchers to banks are mostly engineers! haha.

      HR don't really like numbers, except Compensation and benefits guys. Some exceptional who do budgeting or training fund, perhaps.

      Delete
  2. At some point we all must admit the inevitable: life is short, not all of our dreams can come true, so we should carefully pick and choose what we have the best shot at and commit to it. But then don't get all bent out of shape when we don't achieve all of our dreams yet. Be flexible and never stop dreaming.
    I prefer to build my own dreams over someone else hiring me to build theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tacomob

      I never stopped trying to find the shortest possible way to reach my dreams. This is the best I can think of now. Soon soon, and hopefully it is now.

      Delete
  3. Hi FD,

    Perhaps office politics will never be eliminated as long as there are people.

    HR maybe still ok, lesser politics!

    It may sounds strange but I am always good in handling office politics, bcos I am not so political sometimes! I believe as long as I am smart to understand what people want to play and be competent enough in my job, and always think BIG picture, I can kill politics! Be likeable to ur boss or even ur boss boss is even more impt! Aiyo politics!

    Eventually why not we can create our Politics in our own company. How about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rolf

      Haha...Seems like you are having a great time stirring things up in office. Finally found something that we are not common. haha. :)

      Delete
  4. No leh, can handle politics does not mean like. Our commonality is still create something we r in control that is our own n generate income. So still same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rolf

      We are Master of our destiny. :)

      Delete
    2. Exactly. I call it "to live my life by design and not by default"

      Delete