Saturday, 10 October 2015

A Gift For My Wife That Cost $25000


As you know about me, I am a nobody. Academically inclined? Rich? Special talent? You know the answer.

Fortunately, there is someone out there knowing how to appreciate my strengths & weaknesses and decided to walk this journey with me. I was not someone easy to live with. I was strong headed. She has wisely beautify our relationship and made it blossom.



Today, I am a better man. For the past 10 years or more, my circle of friends have reduced to less than 1%. I choose my friends wisely as I have only that limited time. I spent 99.9% of my non-working time with my wife and child. I am happy with my life, happier than those days that I did all sort of "silly and crazy" things with my "ex-friends" more than a decade ago. I would think many adults still think it is "cool" to do those things now. I know what I want, and I am working towards it. A simple yet most neglected goal: To stop working for money, live a simple and fulfilling life with my family.

My wife was the model student of her teachers (I believe so, though she will disagree). Pleasant, polite, academically inclined and pleasant-looking. I would say she has the scholar calibre if she has not pursue her interest in "less elitism preferred" field of study. She can easily look better than most local actress if she put on a make-up (The only time she put on a make-up was during our wedding. She practically apply nothing on her face all day). She is the apple of my eye, no cosmetic needed.

Today, my wife was being advised that she has a minor medical condition and need to do a keyhole surgery soon. The doctor assured that the surgery will be extremely safe as it is a minor and common surgery. I can tell she is worried and distracted after the visit but she bounced back to a normal-her soon after. Courageous, I would say. I would have developed panic attack if in her shoes. Both of us never have a surgery before.

What I have given to my wife as a gift? I advised her to buy the tier 1 Hospitalisation & Surgical plan that Aviva had in year 2009. Today, I asked her not to worry about money and go for the senior consultant that she trusted at the private hospital. I advised her to opt for single bedded for better rest and recovery. The estimate cost with 1-day stay should be around $25,000. All cost should be claimable unless Aviva make thing impossible. They have a reputable brand, so should not be the case. My wife can forget about financial cost and concentrate fully on being positive. Being positive will help her cope with her surgery better and make the recovery process speedy.

Moral of the story? You can save on a lot of things, but please do yourself and your family members a favour, buy the best H&S plan you can afford, and give yourself more choice when health is at concern. Cost is the last thing you would want to think about when H&S is needed.

To my wife, I love you.

24 comments:

  1. Hello FD,

    Hope your wife will have a speedy recovery. I believe she'll need you more than most now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SS

      Thanks for your well wishes. :) Hope you are doing well too on your master plan.

      Delete
  2. Hello FD,

    Hope your wife will have a speedy recovery. I believe she'll need you more than most now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sk : hope your wife have a speedy recovery! Bravo for being such s lovely husband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, you are a lovely husband too. Thanks for your well wishes.

      Delete
  4. Wish your wife a speedy recovery.
    Keyhole elective surgery...let me guess ? Gallbladder surgery
    With advanced medical care nowadays, dont worry. Shd be fine.
    Sincerely,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul

      Thanks for your well wishes. It is a common ladies' problem. Not Gallbladder. :)

      Delete
  5. Frugal Daddy,

    That's the way!

    Very few men will say those 3 words in public :)



    Eh. Your wife got elder sister that's single?





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SMOL

      My blog is not public because my identity is secret. haha.

      My wife don't have an elder sister. Elder sister may not behave the same way and look similar too. haha.

      Delete
  6. Hi Frugal Daddy

    Sorry to hear that and hope your wife speedy recovery.

    It is good that you are prepared for the best for your family in terms of the h&s insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B

      Thanks for your well wishes.

      It is good to have more options on H&S since it is insurable. The premium is reasonable.

      Delete
  7. Best wishes to your wife. Full recovery ahead! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LGRT

      Thanks for your well wishes and visiting my humble blog. Hope you are enjoying your investing journey.

      Delete
  8. Hello FD,

    You are not at all a nobody. You are a somebody who got his priorities sorted out. And by that measure there are not too many 'somebodies' around.

    As Samuel Hardege put it: The only thing that matters in life is health, family, and friends – all the rest is theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy

      Thanks for your kind words. Indeed, it is easily tempted by the materialistic world to have more and more. The question is, what is important? Time, freedom, money, health, lifestyles, family, friends, and what? Each has their own combinations.

      Agreed that health, family and friends are most important to me.

      Delete
  9. Hi FD,

    It's ok to be a nobody, because your wife will sing to you " I wanna nobody nobody but u!"

    :-)

    Best of health and wealth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rolf

      Good that you are catching up with Kpop at "your age" for a man. opps. :)

      thanks for your well wishes. Wish you and your loved ones good health too.

      Delete
  10. Hi Frugal Daddy

    I can understand what you & your wife are going through now.

    7 months ago when I was diagnosed with cancer, my world fell apart.
    To make matters worse, I had many "unknowns" then.

    I have to go through CT Scan & MRI to determine the cancer stage and to ascertain if cells has spread to any part of the body.
    The surgeon will then review the reports to confirm the extend of the surgery required.
    You can imagined my fear while waiting for the results.
    I was relieved it was at stage 1B and the cells did not spread to any parts of the body.

    I had keyhole surgery and I did not experience any pain after the surgery. The recovery was almost instant and I was discharged the next day. The 3 tiny cuts do not need any bandage at all.

    I was very fortunate to be well taken care of by an excellent surgeon who patiently explained my medical condition and walked through the surgery with me.
    I did not opt for private doctor.
    Throughout the process. 3 different doctors attended to me.
    I am very grateful to SGH doctors and staff who took good care of me.
    My medical bill was substantially subsidised and the amount was too small to qualify for MediShield claim.

    I am sharing my experience because I want to encourage your wife to be brave and not to worry about the surgery.
    I have gone through two in June and did not experienced any pain at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grateful

      Thanks for visiting my humble blog. Thanks for sharing your story and your support.

      I would think government hospital care should be equally proficient, just that we knew this senior doctor and have strong confident in him.

      Good to hear that you are enjoying your good health now and had a speedy recovery. I am sure you treasure your time more than ever after the incident. How many years we have in this world? No one know. Do our best for what is important to us.

      Delete
  11. Hi FD,

    Awww.... so sweet. I believe that you have also made your wife a better woman with your love and attention. She could bounce right back because you were right beside her, supporting her and you gave her courage to do so! Don't stop doing crazy things... instead do them with your wife :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jes

      Crazy things as in being Financial Independence before 40 years old? Or being a semi retired house husband at 34 years old? Crazy enough for a Singaporean male? The goal itself is crazy enough right :)

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Far from a nobody, you are the world to the one person that matters the most - your wife. Wishing her a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TL

      My great pleasure for your presence in my humble blog.

      Thanks for your kind words. See you more often and look forward to more good news on your permanent portfolio

      Delete