Wednesday, 21 October 2015

I Profited from Travel Insurance: Taiwan Family Trip

Before I start my post proper, I would like to thank my readers for their generous well wishes for my wife. She has a successful surgery and is recovering at home. I will update the experience and the cost (I guess it will take 1.5 months) when I have received the bill reconciliation from Aviva, Medisave and the Hospital. (If you have no idea what I am talking about, click here to read my earlier post)



It is definitely not an overstatement to say Taiwan touched my heart every time I visited them. I have visited them about 3 times, totalling to about 20 over days. Taiwan is a place where I feel home (It was like Singapore in the 80s/90s but with current technology).

There are many fantastic experience. Just to share on 1 highlight, I had a haircut at 西门町 for $8. I was given a personalised TV, a drink, a warm conversations by staff, a thorough explanation on how they cut my hair and how I can manage my hair. The stylist trimmed my hair meticulously for slightly less than an hour. How much again? Yes, all these for $8. What is the key take-away not in Singapore? The warm and homely attitude. haha.


To be fair to Singapore and Taiwan, I will not share the rest of my supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Try google this word) experience in Taiwan. I encourage you to give it a try, if it is within your means. Of course, you need to know what are the good and cheap food/lifestyles there. Hint: Find out what their locals like, and not what the tourists like.

In my earlier years when I travelled, I would take the risk of not buying travel insurance. I made the right choice to buy one since I was bringing my child along. With the 50% offer from Great Eastern, I bought the travel insurance at only about $61 for 3 persons. My child was coughing badly and I bought her to see my paediatrician when I was back in Singapore. It cost $161 in Singapore. (I was told by Taiwanese that they don't need to pay >$5 for their medical cost and their medical technology is very advance). So, I "earned" $100 from the travel insurance. Beside that, I am covered for other risk that may occurred to travellers such as loss of baggages and wallets. Moral of the story? If you are bringing a young child, please buy a travel insurance. Even without a child, please consider doing so too. Piece of mind can be priceless, at times.


9 comments:

  1. Hi FD, the last time I bought travel insurance from NTUC income, my son was down with flu. I took him to a Pead when we returned to SG. We subsequently made a claim and was told that we had to go to a GP first as travel insurance does not cover "specialized" clinics. But luckily, they approved our claimed out of goodwill but mentioned that they won't cover the next time. Hope it works well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I actually checked my term and conditions 1 by 1. Haha. So boring right? Luckily, mine is covered. I received my cheque from GE actually.

      Delete
    2. Hi FD,

      Excellent! Glad it's covered! Guess I got to read about the coverage before I buy in future. Well done! :)

      Delete
  2. Taiwan. Nice. I will be visiting for Round 2 next year in Jan 2016. This time I will be exploring mainly Taichung and Nantou areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CW

      Great. I actually planning to visit 1-2 province each visit. This round, I simply slowly explore taipei with 9d8n stay. I actually went bbq with a taiwanese family kampung. Quite nice. This is how they celebrate mid autumn

      Delete
  3. Taiwan is like a second home to me. I love the country, the people, the food and the hospitality! Would love it if you have the time to share more on your trips =)

    I always buy travel insurance. Once, I dislocated my elbow on an remote resort island. Even the most impossible thing can happen. Even after I came back to SG : GP clinic referral to A&E for x-ray referral to Ortho specificalist referral to Physio, zero cent out-of-pocket except for cab fares.

    Firm believer in travel insurance for life after the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TL, it is more like my 1st home that I rarely return. Haha.

      The people there are friendly. You can easily get tips from them. They believe in 我爱人人. The season plays a part. Used to have 4 seasons but now left 3 I think. Avoid June to sept for typhoon season. Oct to Dec is cooling. You may want to try all their seasons to understand their culture better.

      Travel insurance is a must only if the premium is reasonable. Current rate looks fine :)

      Delete
  4. Hi FD,

    Yes, taiwan is value for money for sgd! So many good things there but the downside is the politics and the not so international exposure, but it probably won't matter much.

    We should always have travel insurance during travel. Some credit cards already include it.

    Traveling husband and wife is kind of scary to me! What if... ? maybe should have legal will done also...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that too. I actually know of a family that only 1 spouse can travel at a time for risk avoidance. Not sure whether this is a smart policy. Not in my sense. Wills is important even without travel. Only about $400 to $900 for a pair of couple. Should do it if possible

      Delete